Friday, March 16, 2007

Things we inexplicably thought were cool in the 90's, Part 1

It's easy to make fun of the 70's and 80's, because each decade produced such outlandish styles, trends, and entertainment. I think we often overlook the 90's though, especially because those were my most formative years, and a lot of the stupid shit we thought was cool back then is really embarrassing now. Some of this may be more personal to my experiences and tastes, but I'm sure that I am not the only one who thought this stuff was great back then.

1. Fun Lovin' Criminals, "Scooby Snacks"

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A catchy, jazzy, mildly controversial (in a really retarded way) MTV hit all about robbing banks and taking drugs. The song came out in 1995, while we were still in the "Reservoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction" Tarantino-worshipping days. The song has samples from each of those movies interspersed with the lyrics that somewhat go along with the narrative. MTV stopped playing it, if I remember correctly, once concerned parents realized that "Scooby Snacks" was code for drugs.
Yeah, I loved the song. I was very into the beat poet/stand up base kind of thing back then. And such lyrical gems as "They gave chase but my man Steve's an Ace, so we lost those brothers with haste," apparently tickled my fancy at the time.
I still have the song on my mp3 list, and I groan a little every time it comes on. I can't quite bring myself to remove it though. Liking that song is about as lame as owning the Pulp Fiction soundtrack, and yeah, I owned that too.

2. Hypercolor T-Shirts

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

These were all the rage when I was in 6th grade, so that would put it around 1990 or 1991. The perfect compliment to your Reeboks and acid-washed jeans with the cuffs rolled up nice and tight. The color changing shirts were really cool until someone came up and slapped you on the back as hard as they could just to leave a hand print. Which they did. A lot. Fuckers.

3. Bram Stoker's Dracula

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

God, what a goofy ass movie. I've always been a fan of vampire flicks, and when this came out in 1992 I was terribly excited. I'm still not sure how I managed to see it in the theater, given that I wasn't yet 17. Apparently the local movie theater where I grew up was pretty lax on ratings. I loved it then, but this one really doesn't hold up now. The only reason to watch it these days is for the (somewhat) gratuitous vampire chick nudity. Oh, and Tom Waits, he's always fun.

There are many, many more examples of silly 90's stuff still to come. Feel free to wax nostalgic about your own embarrassing past in the comments.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter
Proflowers