Monday, June 11, 2007

The Sopranos Finale - The Biggest Dick Move in Television History?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

(Spoilers ahoy, obviously)

To quote Bart Simpson: "You know what would have been better than nothing? ANYTHING!"

Yeah yeah, I get what they were trying to do. And on the two main theories regarding what happened after the abrupt cut to black, I'm leaning on the "Tony got killed" side.

That being said, I really do think it could have been handled a bit better. Why set up such a textured scene of almost unbearable tension only to cop out like that? Sure, it has generated a ridiculous amount of buzz and speculation, but not exactly in a positive fashion. It almost seems like it was done just to mess with us.

I don't believe it's simply a set up for a future movie, that would just be too nakedly crass. I doubt David Chase is ever going to hint one way or the other about what he intended the audience to infer from the final scene. I'm sad to see it go, and it feels so hollow the way it went.

To quote a talkback poster on aintitcool.com - "When millions of people suddenly wonder who sat on the remote, you have failed."

I concur.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter
Proflowers