Saturday, August 12, 2006

I Ride the Short Bus to College

I admittedly watch a lot of television that doesn't exactly appeal to the highest common denominator. I can take most of what the teevee spits at me during commercial breaks, be it hilariously deceptive Axe Body Spray ads, that damn Smilin' Bob and his huge schlong, exciting careers in game design (those actually cross the line of so bad its funny), or lawyers wearing funny hats, but oh god I die a little inside every time that Lincoln Tech commercial with the borderline retarded guy comes on.
I can't really figure out who the good folks at Lincoln Tech are trying to draw in. Are they going for sub-humans who see this Corky Clone and think "Hey, he just like me! I can go school too!"
Or are they trying to insult those of normal intelligence yet lacking in drive into thinking "Holy shit! That dumbass went to college and all I've done is spend each day jerking off to Blanche from the Golden Girls!"
They've got this poor bastard delivering lines like "Now I'm a Network Center Tech (or some such horseshit) for one of the largest telecommunication companies in the world" with a dim optimistic expression on his face that makes me suspect they promised him a lollipop if he got it right.
But the kicker is when they show some guy dragging him around the office to show off the sonogram of his short-on-chromosomes seed. I can never figure out why the one lady fawns over it joyfully, rather than recoiling in horror at the realization that this guy is actually breeding. She probably thought he was going to show her a picture of his favorite Cabbage Patch doll.
The other Lincoln Tech commercial with the Opie-looking kid talking about how he made it now that he's a satellite switch operator for locomotives (or some such horseshit) is pretty bad too, but this one makes me cringe. Aren't there laws against taking advantage of the handicapped?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter
Proflowers